Monday 21 May 2012

Old Ads: Jackie Chan & the Australian Nuggets


That's Jackie Chan, 25 years ago.

The ad title: In my job, I need good planning. And a little luck.
How true! If we all know gold will soar from a mere US$$400++ an oz to US$2,000 an oz at its peak in recent times, we would be sitting on a small fortune. But of course, you and I know for that to happen, its not "a little bit of luck"; its a ton of luck! And when you look back, gold took a quarter of a century to appreciate to today's value, its fair! The world has never been richer.

Most collectors would have made some money by selling their China lunar series gold coins, in recent times. I had a few; couldn't sell them for years (unless you want to sell at a loss), until the gold price starts to soar; and after I have sold, I realized I sold them too cheap! That's the irony of life.

I've never bought any bullion coins because of its "conservative nature and excessive numbers": an alternative investment, an exaggerated claim as a hedge against inflation and produced without birth control. But I should have bought the Australian Nuggets because they were among the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful bullion coins in the market at that time. And priced with a small premium over gold prices for such a nice piece, a shining piece.Of course you may argue there were also the China Panda and our very own Singapore Lions. Ok, they were also in my radar screen so let's talk about them another day. :-)

The English ad was half-page, dated 13 May 1987, The Straits Times.
The Chinese ad was half-page, dated 14 May 1987, Lianhe Zaobao.



Does Jackie Chan in 1987 look like Jackie Chan in 2012? Or does Jackie Chan's son, Fang Zhuming (Jaycee Chan), look more like the younger Jackie Chan ? Both young Jaycee and old Jackie should be pleased.